Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Instinctless Norns: Fun!


Let's document my adventures with instinctless norns, shall we?




After a manic fit of having no idea what to do about a malfunctioning, defective product (that has worked for me before. I have not made sense out of this at all and have given up.) I made some instinctless norns using a generation 15 norn from WR september as a base on Live GMS. The result, was Timmy and Lizzymae. All instincts were silenced except for travel and sleep related ones, because those can't really be learned.

I'm apparently no good at teaching norns to be happy, because both of them have no idea how to eat, and are constantly hungry despite being taught. They've managed to live three hours by now and Lizzymae is grey, and have had at least 6 eggs together. I'm surprised at how stubborn these norns are. I expected better listening skills!

The first pregnancy was the twins, Donnila and Lilian. Now, they were bullies. I have no idea why, but out of all the norns that were adults at the time, these two liked to slap. And slap they did. I exiled them from the Random's Room where I was keeping them and sent them to the Norn Terrarium. Lilian soon died of sickness, I felt bad, and Donnila joined the group with a more placid attitude. Around this time, I decided I needed some variety and downloaded Extra-small Crime from TCR.



Extra-small crime is slightly different from Lizzymae and Timmy, being that ALL his instincts are silenced - I felt this was a good thing to have in the genepool, because it would make norns a little bit more unpredictable and unique.

The first thing Crime did was eat EVERYTHING. He kept the young Lilian and Donnila company while I was busy raising Hannabelle.

Hannabelle was the first norn to die, by the way, in the norn meso from starch starvation. She ate well when she was young - but over time, she forgot, and stubbornness killed her in the end. She had one egg, laid in an attempt to teach her to breed, and the father was - you guessed it - Crime. This is why you should listen when you hear a voice say 'eat seed'.



The next was Mari. Now, Mari is the best norn of the bunch and practically taught herself. She's the only daughter of hannabelle and Crime, is super cute, and LOVES eating. The first thing she did out of her shell was eat a balloon pigeon. And then 2 more. And then she ate every pigeon there was. Then she ate the food - so much of it - and the fruit, and the seeds, and the potato leaves... she played with toys, she listened - Mari is a -star-. When she became an adolescent It was time to stop looking after her so closely to make sure she was learning, and she spent the next half an hour saying she was happy while pacing back and forth, eating carrots. As an adult she's slightly stubborn, but I have hope!

I think I'm getting better at this whole nurturing thing than I was with Lizzymae and Timmy. It's fun to have norns with personalities!


I'm planning to add strangeness into the genepool - namely, norns with the anti-inbreeding genes and yettin appearance genes, as well as being half CFE ettin. But that's for the future, and I think i'll let a generation or two go past until I introduce them, or even make them. I need to do more experiments in the meantime... how about norns trained to eat manky and food? Normal norns don't, but I'll see if an alcoholic norn is even possible with the help of Medlar and Yule Booze.



I think TCR needs more instinctless norns, so I'll be uploading the ones that I like as I go, as well as a few babies. There's only 2, and they're pretty much the same! Mari will be the first to go, so keep an eye out! Or I might just post a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment